Army Emergency Relief
- Virtual classes will continute to be offered. You can watch them on the ACS Facebook page.
- If you need to have a class face-to-face, contact the ACS and ask to speak with the program manager.
- Maintain social distancing.
- HPCON B guidelines in effect.
- Program Overview
Army Emergency Relief (AER) at USAG Humphreys and Area III provides financial assistance to active duty Soldiers, retirees and Family members during times of valid emergency need.
AER CAN assist with the following:
- Non-receipt of pay or allowance (when pay is due and not received)
- Lack of basic necessities, such as food
- Payments for initial rent, to prevent eviction, mortgage payments, foreclosures or utilities
- Travel expenses for emergency leave
- Loss or theft of pay (with police report)
- Funeral expenses
- Essential POV repairs or payments
- Medically authorized convalescent leave or paternity leave
- Required down payment for medical services, equipment and supplies if the provider will not accept down payments
- Repair of HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning)
- Purchasing and Repairs of Stove or Refrigerator
- Furniture that is essential and economical to set up household or due to loss or damage from a natural disaster.
- Child Car Seats
- Cranial Helmets
- Down payment to obtain a more reliable vehicle when the cost of repairs is higher than the value of the vehicle. (Not able to process under the Commanders’ Referral Program.)
- Rental vehicle when SM is on emergency leave or awaiting the repairs of a primary vehicle.
AER CANNOT assist with the following:
- Help pay for non-essentials
- Finance ordinary leave or vacation
- Pay fines or legal expenses
- Help liquidate or consolidate debt
- Assist with house purchase or home improvement
- Cover bad checks or pay credit card bills
- Commander's Referral Program
The AER program has a positive influence on Soldiers’ morale by providing commanders an important asset in helping them accomplish their basic command responsibility for the morale and welfare of their Soldiers and Families. AER desires to give commanders another tool to affect an immediate positive impact on their Soldiers by giving the commander approval authority for an immediate financial loan for valid needs.
AER has always given commanders considerable flexibility in the implementation of local AER sections. This new category is just an extension of that flexibility. However, commanders are still required to operate AER sections within existing guidelines, while ensuring they distinguish between Soldiers’ WANTS and NEEDS and to provide AER assistance to all Soldiers in a fair and equitable manner.
The Commanders Referral Program is not designed to replace existing categories or procedures for Soldiers seeking AER assistance. It is intended as a tool for commanders to have a mechanism to assist their Soldiers with short-term problems or needs for basic living expenses. Commanders who do not desire to approve assistance under the Commanders Referral Program but believe the Soldier still has a valid need for AER assistance may recommend approval and forward the Soldier’s request to AERO for processing of AER Assistance under other existing operating procedures.
Active duty Soldiers lacking the funds to meet their monthly obligations may request AER funds up to $1,500 with repayment over a maximum of 15 months. If the Commander approves the Soldier’s request under this category, they will complete AER Form 600, and the immediate commander is the approving authority. Commanders and 1SGs must follow AR 930-4 and AER Officers user guide when approving assistance.
The following conditions apply:
- AERO will confirm eligibility for assistance under this category prior to issuing a check. If the Soldier does not meet eligibility for assistance under the Commanders Referral, a check will not be issued.
- There may not be more than two such assists per year
- Existing Commander Referral loan must be paid in full prior to additional assistance in this category being authorized
- Repayment must be by allotment
- Repayment must be prior to ETS but no more than 12 months in duration
- Soldier cannot be on the AER’s restricted list
- Assistance under this category will always be as a loan. No grants are authorized
- AERO will inform the commander of final disposition
- AER Scholarship
AER’s MG James Ursano Scholarship Program applications can be completed online at www.aerhq.org starting 1 December with a deadline of April 1st of each year. The program is for dependent children of Active and Retired Army Soldiers and is based on financial need, academics and leadership/achievement. Scholarships are also available for Spouses, both stateside and overseas.
Services are available to all active duty and retired military personnel and their Family members; members of the Army National Guard and US Army Reserve, when on active duty and during post deployment and their Family members; Army APF and NAF civilian employees, and their Family members; Family members of prisoners of war or personnel missing in action and surviving Family members of military personnel who died while on active duty.
This facility is OPEN (for services only).
Services include Lending Closet Kits, AER Loans/Grants, Clearning, Family Advocacy Support, ACS program appointments and general questions.
For assistance, please contact DSN (315)757-2375 or +82 (0)50-3357-2375 (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.). After hours you can call the American Red Cross at DSN (315)757-2375 or +82 (0)50-3357-2348 or +1 (8)77-272-7337 (this is a number to the USA. Please note that there is a fee when calling this number from overseas).
Main Army Community Service
|Monday||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Tuesday||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Wednesday||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Thursday||12 p.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Friday||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
Army Emergency Relief (AER) provides interest-free loans or grants to those who qualify for financial assistance. For AER assistance after normal duty hours, please contact the American Red Cross at DSN (315)753-7172.